- An engaging learning experience with flexible scheduling options and virtual classrooms
- Content developed by practicing clinicians and brought to life by instructional designers
- Medically accurate information on all methods, including clinical IUD practicum
- Up to 7.5 CME/CE contact hours
How We Work
We provide patient-centered training and technical assistance to Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs), hospital systems, state and local health departments, and more – all at no cost to our partners.
- Access to contraceptive protocols that increases single-visit access to all methods
- Customized billing and coding guides for financial and clinical staff
- Assistance with contraceptive stocking and supplies
- Support for integrating pregnancy intention screening questions into care and EMRs
- High-quality patient education materials in multiple languages
- Training includes patient-centered education techniques, how to identify and address bias, and the history of reproductive coercion in the U.S.
- Shared Decision Making model allows patients and providers to make healthcare decisions together
- Patient surveys to understand patient experience of care quality
- Pre- and post-training surveys to measure staff and clinicians knowledge
- Complimentary access to specialized data partners for unique care delivery insights
If not for Upstream, we would not be here today. I always get very emotional about that. We have patients who have nowhere else to go, who have traveled hundreds of miles to see us. When you see their gratitude, and the control they now have over their lives so they can pursue their dreams, it makes it all worthwhile. Everything changed for the better after Upstream – we just need more of you down here.Carolena Cogdill CEO, Haven Health in Amarillo, TX, a Federally Qualified Health Center
This initiative is frankly one of the most exciting things that I have been involved in since I started in medicine, because of the fact that it truly addresses a problem at its source, empowers those affected, and has such significant ‘downstream’ effects on women, their partners and families, and ultimately society, by allowing women to have children only when they want to.Dr. Tom Stephens Chief Medical Officer, Westside Family Healthcare in Delaware, a Federally Qualified Health Center
This partnership came at the absolute perfect time. Upstream is really aligned with where we want our clinic to be. These are the services we want to provide for our patients and our community. Upstream is supporting us and making us more confident in the information we share with them.Carmel Jenkins Clinic Manager at Mecklenburg County Health Department in North Carolina
Benefits of Partnering with Us
We support our partners in offering the best contraceptive care to their patients – so that every patient leaves feeling respected, well-informed, and that their needs have been met.
Our program comes with $25,000 – $50,000 grants to help offset the cost of staff time spent on the program.
Our dedicated Upstream team tailors our program to fit your busy schedules and technology capabilities – ensuring a cohesive experience for the whole team, and time spent on areas where support is most valuable.
Our training is CME-accredited, and often a highlight for our partners. Your staff can receive credits towards their professional development goals, while learning alongside health care professionals from across the country.
Providers increasingly document patients’ reproductive health goals as part of routine screening
This chart shows the percentage of unduplicated patients aged 15-44 with a Pregnancy Intention Screening Question (PISQ) response documented in a dedicated EHR field over a 12-month period prior to and following Upstream engagement. Because reporting varied slightly by agency, results are not comparable across agencies.
Data extracted from health center EHRs and analyzed by a third party
Upstream is on a trajectory to reach health centers that serve more than 1 million patients annually across the U.S. To date, we have partnered with health centers across Delaware, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington.
We can work with you and your team to determine the best way to provide our free, evidence-based training and technical assistance to your organization.