How do I use it?
Fertility Awareness Methods help you track your menstrual cycle to determine the days that you can get pregnant and what days are safer for sex. There are many approaches such as tracking your cervical mucus, basal body temperature, and menstrual cycle (Calendar Method).
How effective is it?
Although different for each method, the most common Fertility Awareness Methods are, on average, 85% effective at preventing pregnancy. These methods are more effective when combined and don’t work for people who have irregular menstrual cycles.
What I might like...
- You don't need a prescription or a procedure to use these methods
- You can start and stop using them on your own
- You can learn more about your body and fertility
- There are many types of Fertility Awareness Methods
- These methods won't affect your milk supply if you are breastfeeding
What I might dislike...
- You need careful scheduling and organizing
- You may not like that you can't have sex, or need to use a back-up method like condoms, on certain days with Fertility Awareness Methods
- These methods don't work for people who have an STI, irregular bleeding, or irregular discharge
- You won't be protected from STIs