How do I use it?
It usually takes 5-10 minutes for a provider to place the IUD into your uterus. IUDs release a little bit of the hormone progestin into your body. This helps prevent pregnancy. Depending on the type of Hormonal IUD you get, they’ll work for up to 3-6 years (3-7 years, off-label)
How effective is it?
IUDs are more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. You may need to use a back-up method of birth control for seven days after the IUD is placed.
– The Mirena® IUD works for up to 5 years (7 years off-label).
– The Liletta® IUD works for up to 6 years.
– The Kyleena® IUD works up to 5 years.
– The Skyla® IUD works up to 3 years.
What I might like...
- You might get lighter periods or no periods
- You can get it removed by a provider at any time
- You may be able to get pregnant as soon as it’s taken out
- You might like that it’s estrogen-free
- You can get it placed immediately after giving birth
- For most people, Progestin wont affect your milk supply if you are breastfeeding
What I might dislike...
- You might have irregular periods or no periods
- You might feel discomfort during placement and after removal
- You won’t be protected from STIs
- You might get headaches, weight changes, breast tenderness, and mood changes. This typically improves with time.
- Your partner might feel the strings during sex (this is rare). Your healthcare provider can shorten the strings if it is uncomfortable for you or your partner(s).