How do I use it?
The Progestin-Only Pill contains the hormone Progestin. You take it at the same time every day.
How effective is it?
The Progestin-Only Pill is 93% effective. Like the combination birth control pill, the Progestin-Only pill needs to be taken at the same time every day. With most kinds of progestin-only pills, if it is taken more than three hours late you are not protected from pregnancy.
What I might like...
- You might get lighter, infrequent or no periods
- You might like that it's estrogen-free
- For most people, Progestin wont affect your milk supply if you are breastfeeding
- There is a new, unique type of Progestin-Only Pill that doesn’t have to be taken at the same time and can have other potential benefits like reduced cramps and reduced PMS
What I might dislike...
- You may experience spotting or unpredictable periods
- You might get headaches, weight changes, breast tenderness, and mood changes. This typically improves with time.
- You won’t be protected from STIs