How do I use it?
Spermicide is a substance inserted into the vagina as foam, gel, cream, film or suppository at least 10 minutes before sex. It works for up to an hour.
How effective is it?
Spermicide is 79% effective at preventing pregnancy. It is more effective when combined with other methods like Condoms, Cervical Caps, Diaphragms, and the Pull-out method.
What I might like...
- You can get it at most convenience stores and pharmacies
- You don’t need a prescription to get it
- You can start and stop using this method on your own
- This method won't affect your milk supply if you are breastfeeding
What I might dislike...
- You have to use it every time you have sex
- You might experience an allergic reaction, bladder infection, or irritation
- You won't be protected from STIs and may be at an increased risk of getting STIs such as HIV