How do I use it?
The Ring is a small, flexible ring worn inside of the vagina that releases the hormones estrogen and progestin to prevent pregnancy. You have to change it once a month. The Annovera® Ring can be used for a year but must be removed and washed every month.
How effective is it?
The Ring is 93% effective at preventing pregnancy. Some medications can make it less effective. You may need to use a back-up method of birth control (like condoms) for seven days after starting the Ring.
What I might like...
- You may get lighter periods
- You might have reduced cramps and reduced PMS
- You can decide whether or not you'd like to have a period
- You may be able to clear up your acne
- You can keep it in during sex
What I might dislike...
- You won’t be protected from STIs
- You may experience spotting between periods for the first few months
- You might get headaches, weight changes, breast tenderness, and mood changes the first few months. This typically improves with time.
- Estrogen might affect your milk supply if you are breastfeeding