How do I use it?
The Shot (a.k.a. Depo-Provera) is an injection that contains the hormone progestin. You get it every 3 months.
How effective is it?
The Shot is 96% effective at preventing pregnancy. For it to be the most effective you have to get it every 3 months.
What I might like...
- You may get lighter periods or no periods
- You might have reduced cramps and reduced PMS
- You might like that it’s estrogen-free
- You can receive your first shot immediately after giving birth
What I might dislike...
- You might have irregular periods or no periods. Bleeding changes might persist for months after you stop using it.
- You might dislike needles
- You won’t be protected from STIs
- You might have to wait up to 18 months (8-10 on average) to get pregnant after you stop using it
- You might get headaches, weight changes, breast tenderness, and mood changes. This typically improves with time.
- You might get temporary bone-thinning. Bone growth begins again when no longer using the shot.
- You need to return to your health care provider every 3 months for an injection for this method to work